Garagos  Pottery

Most villages along the Nile in Upper Egypt live from agriculture, but in the little village of Garagos near Luxor, many make their living by creating pottery, a 5000 year-old art from the time of the pharaohs.

 In 1955, two French Jesuits invited the famous Egyptian architect Hassan Fathy, noted for his ecologically pioneering architecture, to design the Garagos pottery with its dome style adapted to the village environment along with the owner of a pottery company in France to train village youth in the secret techniques of pottery-making in order to renew the ancient Egyptian art.  

Until recently, tourists often visited Garagos buying directly from the pottery and earning it world-wide acclaim for craftsmanship and beauty. Unfortunately, increased national security measures no longer permit this possibility, and this uniquely Egyptian pottery is mostly available only at annual international exhibitions in Cairo and Alexandria
Garagos lead-free pottery, characterized by turquoise, blue, and gray glazing with subtle green and yellow tones, features antique designs of fish, birds and the ankh (Coptic cross) and is produced from the same red Aswan silt which the pharaohs used for their pottery.

A talented team of young Egyptian artisans insures that each piece is handmade, adding a contemporary touch, and is microwaveable.